Saturday, June 30, 2012

Onboarding Scorecard


Onboarding Scorecard

A JOB AID
for the
Newly Hired Librarian

TWO WAYS OF USING THIS SCORECARD
Current Reality
Future Planning
Enter √ as to where you are now.  This will serve as a quick way of tracking your progress getting up-to-speed in your new role.
Use it as a planning document to identify where you want to be by when. For each item that you believe is important to your onboarding, enter a target date.



SCORECARD LEGEND
RED
YELLOW
GREEN
No
Progressing
Yes




CATEGORY
QUESTIONS
NO
Partial
YES

Role
Is my role clear to me?
Is my role clear to:  To my Peers?  To my supervisor?
In my view of my role in alignment with my supervisor’s view of role?
Is my role what it needs to be to deliver what needs to be done?
Am I aware of standing meetings, appts, practices, committees that, by position, I am expected to participate in?



Supervisor
Am I clear re his/her expectations of me?
How often will I check with my supervisor  about my progress?
Do I have a sense of her/his major concerns and views of risks, and how to best manage them?
Do I know his/her communication preferences?  Do stated preferences match how s/he responds when I follow or deviate from those preferences?  Does preference differ for standard vs non-standard items and emergencies, for non-work hours, etc.  Do I know how to reach him/her outside of business hours and at what ‘crisis level’ s/he would want to be informed (vs. me handling it myself)?



Peers
Do I know who is crucial to the success of my current rotation and to me reaching our goals?
Have I met those who are important to my success?
Have I identified a short list of people who could be useful to me during the beginning of my rotation?  Met them?
Are you starting to perceive University Libraries culture, e.g., norms, practices, assumptions, what is said/not said, the way ‘things are done’ here?  Do you have questions? 
Have I built (or started building) coalitions of support?



Business
Facts
Opinions
Analysis of current reality—how satisfied am I with my current rotation?
Information—OK now or need changes in metrics, how much I am informed, granularity, etc.?
Agree with direction of the library in general when I arrived?  If not, am I clear as to what change(s) I would like to see?  Have I communicated it/hem?  Is the change being accepted?  Is the organization capable of successfully implementing that change or will it become capable soon?



Learning
Do I have a vision for my part of the organization?
Have goals been set for me?  Communicated to me?
Have I set and communicated goals?
Do I have a strategy for reaching the goals and achieving the vision?
Are people on board with the vision, goals and strategy, (or do I need to enroll them in order to achieve what we need to)? How is that going?
Do I have the ‘right’ structure?
Do I have the resources needed?  Will I get them?



Other
Are there useful sources of information and support outside your organization?





No comments:

Post a Comment